Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baby bums and bon voyage

This weekend, I made two very different cakes.

The first of these is a baby bum cake.
A white cake with lemon curd and butter cream filling, this cake was made for one of my sister's co-workers. She had a baby shower for her sister. The bum is a carved cake covered in fondant (actually two layers of fondant, skin tone and then a white diaper...had to be realistic here!) The legs are twinkies covered in fondant and the feet are pure, solid fondant. This cake is adorable and appropriate for any baby shower.



The other cake for this weekend was a suitcase cake that had very special meaning for me. One of my best friends is heading to Palestine later this month. She will be there for a year, saving the world as I like to put it. Janae has a lot of passion for the world, especially the Middle East. Therefore, I made the traveler a suitcase. On the suitcase was four bumper stickers, one for each place she's lived or visited. She spent a year in NY for college, then transferred to Seattle, spent a summer in Egypt and now is headed off to Palestine. I am really proud of her willingness to think of others before herself, and the way she can so easily go out of her comfort zone. She is going to do great things, you just wait and see!



Up for this week: A very special surprise birthday cake for one of my best friends and a cake that will prove polka dots and stripes DO go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment